It was a inspiring, lively evening, with a powerful welcome to country from Uncle Mark, a screening of the new doco Guarding the Galilee, followed by a little skit, the Westpac devil dancers, a haka from Tu and a passionate panel discussing what we are actually going to do to #StopAdani. Thank you to everyone to contributed and everyone who came along and made this such an inspiring night to launch action plans! Together we will #StopAdani and #StopCoal!
Thank you to the wonderful Happy Frog for donating delicious finger food for the evening!
Photos below - with thanks to Rob Cleary!
The action plan distributed on the night is included below the photos, but please subscribe to our email list for the latest updates.
- Get connected: make sure you are signed up to our email list and follow ‘Coffs Coast Climate Action Group’ and ‘Stop Adani’ on facebook to be in the loop for all the latest actions.
- Spread the word: This is the fight of our times and we need everyone to know about it! YOU are the best person to talk to your friends, family and colleagues about the campaign. Take fliers, posters and stickers with you tonight. See www.stopadani.com for more information.
- Come along to the training in Non-Violent Direct Action in Coffs Harbour on Saturday 13 May – put your name down tonight or talk to us if you’d like to know more.
Target Number 1: Federal Members of Parliament
- Let your parliamentary rep’s know you oppose the Adani Carmichael project (and all coal!) Cowper: firstname.lastname@example.org or 6652 6233
Call on them to publicly voice opposition to government support for this project.
- Protest at Hartsuyker’s office, 39 Little Street, Coffs Harbour: 12noon, Wednesday 3 May. Bring your own signs. Get active to help make future protests happen.
Target Number 2: Westpac
- If you are a Westpac customer, call on them to rule out financing Adani coal. You can do it via www.marketforces.org.au/cleanupwestpac or make an appointment to speak to your branch manager.
- Protest outside Westpac Coffs Harbour branch, 218 Harbour Drive, 12noon, Thursday 11 May. Dress in red or black. Let us know if you’d like to be a devil dancer! Westpac customers will go in and speak to the staff. Get involved to help with further Westpac actions.
- If you live outside of Coffs Harbour, you could form a group and adopt your local Westpac branch for targeted #StopAdani actions! Talk to us if you would like support.
- Divest: although Westpac is the only major Australian bank to fail to rule out funding Adani, the other major banks are still investing in other coal and gas projects. To find a bank or credit union which is truly fossil fuel free visit www.marketforces.org.au
Target Number 3: Downer Group
- Downer Group are in a business relationship with Adani for construction of mine infrastructure. They also operate in our region and may become a target for non-violent direct action. If you would like to help with this, please talk to us.
Have you got more ideas? Make it happen! It’s up to us all to make this campaign big! You can come along to Coffs Coast Climate Action Group meetings on the first and third Thursday of each month, 5pm at the Anglican Church office building, McLean Street, Coffs Harbour.
Contact us: email@example.com